13 December 2008

Solemn Images

On Saturday July 24 of the year 1999, God painted the sky soft blue and accented it with billowing clouds. He spiced the air with crispness. While most parts of the country during rainy season are struck by floods, endless typhoons, traffic jams, brownouts… the Bocaue Church in solemn illuminates, its aisle covered with flowers of different shades and scents. After the sponsors were seated, the bride’s march commanded our heads to turn. Nene wears an elegant white-laced chiffon gown adorning her tall body frame and sweet smiling face, eyes locked to the gaze of her groom, Melvin, awaiting at the altar.

Nene honored me as one of her bride’s maids. It was a perfect day to witness and experience happy moments. Right after the exchange of vows, we proceeded at the grandly decorated indoor reception. Lunch was superb and lovely. The tossed bride’s bouquet landed on my lap, one of the groom’s men received the ring garter, he then put the ring garter in one of my legs and had the privilege of a free kiss. The audience roared with cheers and teases as all eyes were set on us and also to my fiancee, blushing seated just on a nearby table. It certainly was a ritual, in Bulacan’s wedding celebration, I can’t forget and most enjoyed.

Nene deserved that special day. She’s a very responsible person, a wonderful friend, a dependable one. We met at the Catholic Renewal in 1992. Together, we grew in the knowledge and service of Christ while striving to find worthiness as OFWs here in Hong Kong. Our friendship’s nourished by countless Fellowships Days; we go to other island to swim, ride bicycle or just have a quiet picnic. She loves to cook, she never failed to bring me samples of culinary works, her version of palabok and custard cake were the best. Some Saturday nights, I would sneak into her room so we could finish or design new projects, passion for handicrafts - an expression of creativity we share and eventually became part of our generous gift-giving. I can’t name an occasion that we missed, exchanging gestures of appreciation and love. We were not loveless but finding greater purpose, many times we joined group of single women in study and prayers searching for contemplative life at St. Paul Convent… dreaming to become a nun. Tough and rough days, we share anguishes, wept, sang, prayed - always there for each other.

I was scheduled to be married a week after her wedding. Away from home, with only limited days of vacation, grand or simple, wedding preparation consumes many months of anxieties and worries. Thankful, generous friends and sponsors gave cash gifts lessening our burden on expenses. While I busy myself working on major details like food, venue and entourage, Nene on her own made my pressured days a little lighter and speedy to bear. She took charge on the printing of invitations, shopped for souvenirs (tokens) and even found a competent seamstress to sew my wedding dress. Her sacrifices didn’t end there. Surprisingly, she arrived with a jeep-full of families in time of our traditional Ilocano pre-wedding dance party - the night before the wedding. From Bulacan to our town Quezon (Isabela) was an enduring back-aching-bumpy-8-hour trip and she obviously spared few of her numbered honeymoon days (she needed to come back to HK that week).

And so on the same Saturday (July 31, 1999), with the Sacrament of Matrimony, Nestor and I received God’s Blessing at St. John Bosco Parish Church. God was so gracious to us. Sunshine and green grasses complemented our outdoor reception creating the day beautiful and memorable, making all the witnesses cheerful, the foods tasteful, and the music perfect in tunes. Pride and joy overwhelmed me, surrounded by loved ones and friends. Equally like and having the presence of Nene, captured photographs and videos stored colorful memories. Her wedding day and mine revered mental images to cherish, that both warm our hearts up to this date.

I came back in Hong Kong a year ago and had a chance to be united with Nene before she went to Spain. Now I have 2 kids, she has one. Miles apart but still glued by love and remembrance. On the occasion of our wedding anniversary, she sent me a postcard with this message:

Belle love,
Buenas Dias! This is the picture of Barcelona Cathedral and it symbolizes a lot about you and me. I miss you and our friendship. The shared joys and pains, of scarcities and abundances, everyday. I want you to know that you are being remembered. I live just nearby and I always come here for prayer. This July, my wishes are the same like 9 years ago - that your marital life be blessed for you are such a wonderful friend
to me and to others. Finest things your heart so desires, may God grant
them according to His riches and glory.
Happy, happy anniversary amiga! Let’s keep counting!
In His witness and love,
Nene San Diego Galang and family

The same value holds true within my heart. The church signifies not only the place where Sacraments are received, prayers are granted, unforgettable memories are created, like Nene and me, it is also a place where the best friendships are made.

Author: Annabelle B. Libao

*Published in TF Newsmag (August 2008 issue)

No comments: