31 January 2009

Hidden Value

Easy come, easy go. On the contrary, ang pinaghirapan 'di madaling kalimutan. We value things by the hardships that we take. In fact, what rewards us more than the challenges that entail is the feeling of worth that we earn. There are no shortcuts to precious-happy ends.

Gold miners are well known for their unsurpassed optimistic persistence. Exploration includes site discovery, preparation, ground testing and working tirelessly as a team, dig down the deepest depth of the earth, gather, pulverize, sieve until a sign of ore appears… in it stores endless treasures of great value, the reward of their hard labor. Similar procedures apply in finding the hidden value of things or in any relationship.

Yesterday, I told Cherry siya ang pinakamakulit na nakilala ko sa buong mundo. She reminded me, "I cherish you my dear, kapag ako ay hindi na nangungulit sa 'yo dalawa lang ang ibig sabihain non; either give up na ako sa 'yo or namayapa na ako." Alive and true, obviously for so many years, she considered the benefits of remaining engaged as opposed to slowly departing our friendship. She thinks less about the pains and disappointments that I gave when I openly contradict her opinions, honestly criticize her works, and sometimes I'm coincidentally unavailable to attend her demands or needs. Instead, she ponders more about the good times, the meaningful memories, ideals, and goals that bring and hold us together. She is always understanding and generous while I try to make up or reciprocate. Cousin Peachy just came from a happy-loving relationship that turned into war and hate. Does she care to repair the damage? Certainly, kung sana may panghihinayang but then she says, "We cannot choose people that enter our life but we can always choose the ones that we want to stay." In life, I realized that people we meet are there for a purpose. Some are there to use you, to teach you, bring out the better if not the best in you. Some may cause you pain and heartaches but one must learn to move on, to let go of the people who can't treat you right and hold on to those who can love you back and see your worth. After all, life isn't about meeting people but finding relationships that lasts.

More reasons than we can count, sometimes bad things happen to good relationships. Miscommunications, blames and excuses can lead tempers to flare, or people to quietly drift apart, feel hurt, let down, abandoned, frustrated or whatsoever. Do we invest right enough time, effort and reasons to the right person to find high value? It pays to know deeper than the surface, to look closely beneath the layers where gems await to be discovered. Ninang Mae tells me "In a world full of strangers, where life isn't perfect, it's a wonderful blessing to have found people who are sensible to hear your thanks or complaints for the day. Friends who can read you inside-out without difficulty finding language to explain. Friends who know their place in you and you know where you stand, never taking for granted ..for real friends cherish you and stay with you in your worst or even when the rest of the world are gone."

Of relationship, we are all hunters. I for one, when hunting gets tough and difficult and I feel like approaching the end of my string, I find more reason to hold on, give it another try. I may give a little extra but it's worth especially when someone say, "I don't want to lose you as my sister." That surely creeps to the treasure box of my heart, adding more precious gifts in life. I honor friendship by the law of trust and transparency. I let them know my fears, my weirdest dreams and that I love nature, good books, danish bread, ikebana, and Kris Aquino. Same way, I don't try to change them but I accept them for who they are. Friends are treasures more precious than diamonds.

Did you meet one today? Stay put to find the hidden gold then polish to shine. To discover and be discovered is worth more than the greatest treasures of a lifetime. Enjoy hunting!

Author: Annabelle Libao
*Published in True Friends Newsmag (January 2009 issue)

No comments: