25 January 2009

Away In A Manger

Though I used to celebrate many occasions in life away from family nothing beats the emptiness I felt as Christmas approaches the month of December 2006. I deeply missed home and for the first time I will be spending the season without my children.

I went to Tsim Sha Tsui for a little gift-shopping then headed at the Grand Promenade to have snack, savour a good book, relax my aching legs and enjoy the beauty of the harbour. Slight rain drizzled the air and the place was crowded. I settled at one of the benches, and I noticed that my seatmate –a Filipina – was doing some serious observation of the festive decor. She was holding a sketch pad and a well pointed pencil. I'd forgotten how our conversation started but I will always remember our warm sharings. I'd known that she is a widow with 3 children left in Bulacan under the care of a relative who offered them refuge when they left Lanao – grieving, broke, hopeless and in need of shelter and justice. It's been 11 years but memory shrouded her with pain as she related to me the terrifying day when the life of her husband was taken – tortured to death in front of her and her children.

"It was traumatic and I know that we can never regain our losses but I'm thankful for the opportunity to rebuild our future making sure we will not be homeless and hopeless forever. Well, I take drawing as a therapy to express my emotions, and I always sent them to my children, this way I feel closer to home." Rose (her name) said.

To let her know that many shares in her affliction, I told her about the story of a respected High School head-teacher who was murdered in a bus stop cafeteria on her way to Baguio City to attend a seminar and the hopelessness of a church-mate whose father and brother were framed of the crime, sentenced to life imprisonment with no opportunity for a fair trial.


We talked about many things, almost everything under the sun and we finished our foods. Darkness fell, and we said goodbye. Surprisingly, she gave me her work of art. I was deeply touched, my tears dropped as I moved closer to embrace her... on the paper the "Nativity" scene was drawn skillfully. The night was cold and crisp. I passed Nathan Road and admired the peace and grandeur of brightly lit decors of the season. Alone and away from home, I found a place for the manger (courtesy of Rose) in my room. Christmas to me is no longer bleak and barren. There on my wall breathing with a message of love, hope, and calmness is a wonderful gift of the Holy Family – Jesus – once a homeless fellow.

As the US President-elect Barack Obama was delivering his victory speech in Chicago, equality and democracy filled every American as they made historical change having their first black President. And it is also inspiring to note just recently, that the mainland authorities extended protection to rescue thousands of Chinese residents and travelers to fly back home for safety from the chaotic situation in Thailand.

Our country is a place of beauty, and agricultural richness. Majority back home are trying to make a living from the land that has never paid them well, while millions toil overseas hoping for a change of fate. I wonder what life could be for those OFWs who do menial labour, constantly facing danger and abuse, those who never got the chance to enjoy prosperity, freedom and family presence? Have our leaders enforced enough measures to protect our welfare and rights?

I wonder what future lies in our country as issues of controversy, scams, allegations of graft and corruption never seemed to run out. Like Rose, and many others who are "Casualties Of War", as our dear Editor said (TF November Issue), still continue to fight an invisible enemy with no territorial boundaries. These "Casualties" hungers for truth, equality, security, and opportunity.

Some parts of our country is blessed by effective, ethical leaders like Ed Panlilio and Grace Padaca of Isabela. Will there be more of them? Will there be more leaders, lawmakers and law-enforcers who will work earnestly to uplift our economy, restore our peace and security and regain the many losses of our sufferings? In and outside our country, we dream and pray.


Author: Annabelle Libao
*Published in True Friends Newsmag (December 2008 issue)

No comments: