11 November 2009

The Beauty of New Zealand

Wished nowhere but home. Do I need reasons? Work has to serve its purpose and so does time for every plan. I wasn't entirely excited when Boss asked me to spend a month with them back in their home country.

Twelve hours air travel, five times miles away from family, aches and longings but as I step out from the plane onto the tarmac I was treated to a visual feast so stunning that it took my breath (and pains) away. Scenic view of wide lush fields, feast-like coasts and cosmopolitan areas provide an amphitheater unfolding the unique beauty of New Zealand. First morning I woke up at 5. Well, actually the sun rose before 4. It shone brightly on the window blinds (sunsets at 9 pm). Glorious. I decided to walk around the neighborhood. Anti-clockwise seemed the right way to explore, I don’t know why, just a hunch. But the hunch proved right. My location: Waikanae. It is part of Kapiti Coast situated at the Northern Island.

Strolling is great that it became a ritual. The beach is just 5 minutes walk down from our residence. And I was amazed that no matter how many times I walked around the place, I always spot something new and I did enjoy munching wild berries picked along the roadside on my way.


I visited the world famous Nga Manu Reserve, it's a bird sanctuary protecting endangered animals and birds of rare kinds like the kiwi, it has a body smaller than a native chicken yet it can lay egg bigger than that of ostrich... really amazing. Also I watched a Jousting Show, the settings, music, costumes and games were so medieval. I felt I was classically transported back 200 hundred years ago.

For me, holidays are also about history. I can’t bear to be in a place without knowing how it came about or what makes it tick. So after attending Holy Mass, I spent most of my Sundays exploring museums, bookshelves, and interesting places. Nothing can compare to learning the history of people while you are there.


From Waikanae, Paraparaumu Station, it takes 45 minutes by train to reach NZ's capital city, Wellington. The city's historic Cable Car brought me up to Mt. Victoria summit, a 360-degree views over the top, so magnificent. Botanical garden, flower displays, walking trails are added treat to enjoy. I wandered along its heritage buildings and colonial charm. I stopped at the Wellington Cathedral, the National Library and the nation's political powerhouse-Parliament Building. I even sat at the exact chamber where PM John Key delivers law and order… sorry bawal and kamera. On the central waterfront, Te Papa (NZ's national museum), I had interactive and innovative experience. In Our Space, Earth Quake House, it simulates real shakes and aftershocks, likewise with other adrenalin-filled motion simulators. I came face to face with the infamous Colossal Squid: 4.2 m long, weighing 495 kgs… yap, almost half a ton, (at katumbas ng gulong ng malaking truck ang diameter ng katawan ang isang hiwa) preserved in 3D glass compartment. And oh, more than 300 impressive artworks-both historical and contemporary.

Along with the fascinating stories of this land and its people… bitin ang half day mo sa loob. I had unusual close encounter with the cheetahs, giraffes, and red pandas at the Wellington Zoo and was deeply enchanted at the film location of the Oscar-sweeping trilogy "Lord of the Rings". Along the outskirts of the Shire and the eerie darkness of Buckland Forest, I trailed along the same path where the Hobbits took the ferry, and the famous site "Get off the Road" scene.

Alone wandering? Nope, lots of locals are too eager to entertain and in each destination, fortunately, I was always with someone when it's time to eat, to get lost, to laugh, and to fill in photo memories. So that was 28 days of summer in NZ. Yes, it's one of the most memorable experience of my life. I love this place. Everything is accessible, including the past, and it’s free. Sights and sounds, fresh air, organic foods, 4.2 million friendly people, 17 million sheep, added new friends... I have to tear myself away.

As I climbed the steps of the plane, vowing to return, I have sweet plans in July when the cheese and wines are at their best and the Alps will be covered by snow.


Author: Annabelle Libao

No comments: